Tuesday, March 22, 2011

Adventures in Sushi- A Fish Story

The class was held on March 16th, 2011 at Lake Washington Technical College. We were instructed to bring a sharp knife. Each person, I believe there were 8 of us, had a station with a package of sushi ingredients. We had:
  • diced carrots
  • cucumber     
  • smoked salmon
  • tuna
  • avocado
  • krab
  • krab salad
  • salmon roe
  • fried tofu
  • sesame seeds
  • spicy sauce
  • soy sauce
  • wasabi
  • green onions
  • bean sprouts
  • seaweed paper

The instructors would give us a demonstration and we would go to our station and try our hand at reproducing the sushi they made. After trying the rolling technique, I found in reminiscent of my youth and rolling cigarettes of various materials. I used to excel at rolling, so I found this to be a pleasant experience which could be mastered with time and practice.

One thing to learn about sushi rolls is that too much ingredients causes your roll to become over-stuffed, therefore not allowing closure...and we all want closure, don't we?




By the time I left, we were out of rice and the ingredients, which looked moderately fresh 2 1/2 hours ago, no longer looked very appealing, I managed to reproduce all the rolls and nagiri which we were shown. I thought the ingredients provided were lack-luster and definitely would modify the recipes. The concept itself and the applications I learned were valuable. I am excited to make sushi out of quality ingredients at my home, hopefully for guests. 

In the end, it was a satisfying experience. I left with a small box of sushi, most of which I didn't eat, but it was well worth the money invested for the class. Now I just have to buy a bamboo mat and cook up some rice!

2 comments:

  1. I am also guilty of overstuffing my rolls. No closure for me, I guess. That's why I cheat and use sushi molds :) Sushi is so much fun to improvise with ingredients that suit your particular tastes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love making sushi! We have sushi nights alot with the family! I am lucky there are so many asian stores nearby. Uwajamia (sp) being my fav!!

    ReplyDelete