Saturday, August 27, 2011

Gum Paste Flowers - Take one

I took a class from Dawn's Candy and Cake on gum paste flowers. Here is a few things I learned:

1) Gum paste tastes like marshmallow.
2) Gum paste dries fairly quickly.
3) Gum paste is not like playing with Play Doe or Fimo.
4) There are ALOT of steps involved in making gum paste flowers.
5) Making gum paste flowers takes much longer than I anticipated.
6) Common chalk (for kids) is food safe and you can use it to dust your gum paste flowers.
7) If your gum paste flower happens to break, you can use Superglue to repair it and when dried, Superglue is also food-safe.

I am sure there are alot more things I learned but after watching so many cake shows, I thought gum paste would be a walk in the park. It was more like a jog, uphill, in a rainstorm. Do I love it? Oh yes! Once I master it- I have a brilliant idea for a niche cupcake shop. So gum paste- bring it on!

My only regret with these lilies is that I didn't document the process with pictures- just the finished product.





No comments:

Post a Comment