Monday, April 4, 2011

Creatures of Unknown Origin

Sunday, Sunday... Due to the timing of tax season, I haven't been able to get to my yard work as much as I would like. Yesterday was the first day I actually was able to get out and get to it. This year I decided that I would rely on the Farmer's Almanac Calendar. I figured they have been doing this a long time. They have to know what they are doing, right?

So yesterday on April 3rd, the calendar said that it was a poor planting day. *Sigh* I really wanted to plant my strawberries but I told myself to stick to the calendar. I cleaned up dog messes, mowed, weeded, weed-eated and did some general clean up. The calendar did say that it was a good ground breaking and cultivating day. This worked out well for me because I needed to decide where to put in my new flower bed.

I ended up on my hands and knees for hours, pulling weeds, plucking out rocks and being surprised at the amount of holes. Critter holes. Lots of them. Mice? Snakes? Moles? I really don't know what critters created those holes but nothing jumped out at me, so that's good. I am sure whatever made them is NOT happy with me. I don't mind. Hopefully they won't kill my flowers, which I don't get to plant until the 9th or 10th of this month.

Until then, April showers bring May flowers. Gardening season has begun!

No comments:

Post a Comment